Sunday, October 23, 2005

Passport Story

My parents get a phone call at 11:00pm from the police station. No it wasn't about my misdemeanors, it was about my mothers passport- which she had submitted for a renewal. As per the new procedures they do a check on the authenticity of the persons' address. But 11:00pm is just too much. But lets just set that aside because it is just the tip of the iceberg. "Udya amcha manus tumchya ghari yeun jaael". Barah. "Aani tumhi parvah yeun documents deun ja". Thik aahe saheb.

"Udya" never dawned in the police station. So FF to "parvah" my mother lands at the police station and she is asked to come after two days. Thik aahe saheb. As if thats the only work we have got in life. So she again goes to the policestation with the docs a couple of days later. She is made to wait for one hour which is when her patience runs out. I would say what was to follow for them was their self inflicted thing. Mother had already sensed that they were looking for "Karcha Pani".
I would take a moment here to state that she hates the idea of having to give "Chiri Mira" to make files move. She has never given nor allowed me to make such offers. Which is why I can proudly state that all my documents (passport, DL, Domicile cert, etc) are all clean! Can't say the same for my father (he is more practical minded!)

So she walks straight to the station incharges' office and starts her fact based, data driven verbatim with times and dates. Finally shows him her ID (shes a central govt. gazetted officer). And not for the first that I have known, the file get completed and start moving faster than Carl Lewis would have run for his 100m Olympic gold medal.


There would be thousands who would have comprimized and complied to the implied action. Some might argue that the fact the she is a govt. officer got her the deal. Let me tell you this, my uncle is also a govt. officer and he ended up giving the "hafta" at the same police station for the same purpose. So it requires more than being an officer to stand up for values. Well done mom! I hope I can replicate that during my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home