Sunday, October 02, 2005

Nine moments

Nine Moments that have influenced my life:
1) When the doctor were able to find a vein on me to put me on saline. This becomes crucial when your blood pressure is agonizingly low, you are loosing bodily fluids by the minute and you are two months old. Still pains around the spot on the toe, as if just to remind me of this.

2) Being asked to quit sports for academics. The most heart crushing moment that I have ever felt for. I became a bigger skeptic after that. Did not talk to my folks for a while. But not getting something I wanted really turned out to be great ( I must say)

3) When I cracked the board exam (or just missed cracking). It was the first academic success of any kind for me. After that I believed that I could do it if I wanted to.

4) May 1999. I had resigned to the idea of not doing a bachelors degree a few months ago and was looking for a job while completing the diploma in engineering. Getting the boot from L&T interview and the last six months at Mahindra convinced me that I would be a nobody if I did not continue college education. I am glad I took this decision.

5) Moving to Pune for studies. Not only did that give me a chance to live the COEP legend, I also got the hard lessons in a competitive environment. I learned survival in Pune. I made friends for life in Pune. Looking back I think I graduated to a more fulfilling level. COEP gave ‘me’ to me.

6) Working at Telco. I got my part of honesty at Telco. I can proudly say that every front suspension in the Indica and the Indigo are assembled till day, by the process that Abhi and I designed. There is my part in the big ocean called Telco. I also fulfilled my love for driving cars at high speeds on their test tracks. I learned (or should I say “leaned”) the things that would go on to give me my present job.

7) Coming to the US. Big decision for me, even bigger for my family. I always thought I was a strong individual and would never feel the pain of separation. The evening before I left India was the most uncomfortable time I have experienced. I could not bear the uncomfortable silence in the house. I will never be afraid of being alone, I will always be afraid of the loneliness.

8) December 2003. Pulverized to dust by the grueling A&M system, I was thinking if I had made the right decision only a few months ago. There were times when I felt homesick and hopeless beyond comparison. I made the biggest decision of my life here- I asked myself if good things are really worth waiting for. If so, how long? I was determined not to chase something that I did not want. I refused to work with my advisor on things I did not like and it worked out great. I felt I was reborn that December.

9) May 2004 - Meeting my mentor. I think I met my equal. I owe my success to him as much as I do to my abilities. I would have never been where I am today had it not been for him. I hope I live up to my expectations, not just professionally but in the bigger scheme of things in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home